That’s according to TripAdvisor, at least, which recently announced its Top 10 small hotels in Ireland (and the world) for 2017.
Topping the list is a guesthouse Independent.ie Travel readers will be very familiar with – having just voted it the home of Ireland’s best breakfast.
In fact, Castlewood House in Dingle not only tops the list of Ireland’s small hotels, but was also judged Ireland’s best bargain hotel.
TripAdvisor’s Top 10 Small Irish hotels are:
- Castlewood House, Dingle, Co. Kerry
- Bellingham Castle, Co. Louth
- Lough Lein Country House, Fossa, Co. Kerry
- Heaton’s Guesthouse, Dingle, Co. Kerry
- Ballyfin Demesne, Co. Laois
- Talbot Hotel, Belmullet, Co. Mayo
- Fernhill House Hotel, Clonakilty, Co. Cork
- Roundwood House, Mountrath, Co. Laois
- MacNean House & Restaurant, Blacklion, Co. Cavan
- Currarevagh House, Oughterard, Co. Galway
Talking points? Staff at Ballyfin (below) – recently voted best hotel in the world by readers of Conde Nast Traveler – may quibble with fifth place (although it did rise to No.2 in the list of best luxury hotels).
Interestingly too, not a single hotel in Dublin made the list.
TripAdvisor’s Travellers’ Choice Awards, now in their 15th year, are determined based on “millions of reviews and opinions collected in a single year from TripAdvisor travellers worldwide,” the online travel giant says.
Harvey’s Point in Donegal topped the list of Ireland’s best hotels, while India’s Oberoi Vanyavilas (in Sawai Madhopur) was named world’s best small hotel.
The Killarney Park Hotel was named Ireland’s number one luxury hotel, while Pax Guest House in Dingle tops TripAdvisor’s Irish B&B list.
Best hotel on earth? That honour went to The Aria in Budapest.